IF THIS WERE TO BE MADE INTO A FILM, WHAT WOULD THE MAIN CHARACTER BE LIKE?
– detective/ inspector/ police
– middle-aged male
– confident/ angry/ serious
– focused on justice
– working on cases
WHAT CLOTHES WOULD THE CHARACTER BE WEARING?
– long overcoat
– belted trousers
– grey suit
– polished shoes
WHAT FURNITURE IS IN THE MAIN AREA IN WHICH THE ACTION TAKES PLACE?
– cold/ grey/empty/ dull room
– desk/ chair/ lamp/ telephone/ typewriter/ ashtray
– pen/ paper/ notes/ newspapers/ magnifying glass/ binoculars
– tea/coffee stains on paper
– large window – no curtains
SCOTLAND YARD – MOOD BOARD:
After answering the above questions, I made a Pinterest board with images relating to the ‘Scotland Yard’. I then chose images from my Pinterest board in order to create a more selective representation of my vision for the story.
GREY – TEXTURES MOOD BOARD:
After creating a mood board for the Scotland Yard, I chose the word ‘grey’ to focus on. I created another mood board by adding a selection of grey textures which will inspire the development of my illustration for the story.
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT – USING PROCREATE:
I then started to create my illustration, starting with the character’s face. I used a variety of different shades of the colour grey in order to add his features. I am not good at drawing faces of people and found it quite challenging. When it was finished, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
VIDEO OF DRAWING PROCESS IN PROCREATE:
ADDING THE BODY:
I then added a rough outline for my characters’ body.
ADDING GREY TEXTURES:
I added different textures from my grey mood board to create the clothes for my character.
MARK-MAKING USING BERRY TEA:
As I chose the word ‘grey’, I tried to think of interesting ways I could use mark-making to add colour to my scene/room. I remembered when I did the mark-making exercise, I used berry tea which came out grey once it was dry. I thought it would be fun to explore it more for this exercise. I tried out applying it using different ways, for example: using a sponge; using an old mascara brush; using an old toothbrush; using the actual teabag; making teacup stains.
CREATING A SCENE/ ROOM: USING THE MARK-MAKING SHEETS TO ADD COLOUR TO THE WALLS & THE FLOOR:
I experimented using different tea stain Mark-making sheets in order to add colour to the walls & floor to the room. I added windows & the reflection/shadows of the windows on the floor. I think it came out quite well & I was happy with the result.
ADDING THE CHARACTER IN THE SCENE:
I then added the character in different close-ups in order to see what looks best.
I also tried out mock-ups using other textures from my grey mood board.
BOOK COVER MOCK-UPS:
I chose the following close-up in order to create a book cover mock-up for the story.
This exercise was very challenging at first, but satisfying once completed. I thought I was going to struggle more with creating the characters’ face, but it actually came out really well. This exercise was a learning journey and I really enjoyed it. I think the use of the berry tea mark-making had a great effect to add the colour to the scene. I like the minimalistic empty room and the window & reflection/ shadow effect. I guess I could have added a desk with other items, but I am happy with the end result as it is.